Source: Local Futures
Food policy councils bring together stakeholders to build a policy framework for local food systems. Some are initiated by and embedded within local governments, and some are maintained by grassroots organizations.
- Find a local council through this list of Food Policy Groups Around the World by the Center for a Livable Future at Johns Hopkins University in the US.
- Start a new food policy council through Community Food Strategies’ guide Food Policy Council development – A toolkit for communities from seed to start-up featuring step-by-step, widely applicable instructions.
- Read Food First’s document Food Policy Councils: Lessons Learned, which shares best practices from 48 experts over three decades of building councils.
- The Los Angeles Food Policy Council in California started with a task force that created the city’s Good Food for All Agenda, with input from more than 200 stakeholders in roundtable sessions. The 6-minute video Los Angeles Food Policy Council shares their story and achievements.
- The Bristol Food Policy Council in Bristol, UK launched a Good Food Plan to build a resilient food system, covering farmland protection, food culture, market opportunities, business incubation, composting food waste, and more.