I am as sad today as I have ever been about the state of our nation. But luckily for me I am a student of history, and I recall the dying words of Joe Hill, an organizer from the early 20th century:
“Don’t mourn, organize!”
Let his words carry you forward as we send these cretins packing.
- I note that on Friday evening, I took lots of video footage of the protest rallies that erupted after Roe v. Wade was overturned unjustly. One reel is simply 8 minutes of protestors marching. At about 50 people for every 10 seconds, that rate indicates thousands were in attendance. There was, as well, a totally different rally at the Federal Courthouse… and one that had spontaneously closed Market St. before all 3 groups converged around 7pm.
- I mention the crowd size to note – – that’s far larger than the size of the crowd that attacked the Capitol on 1-6-21 yet not one personal went to jail yesterday. Non-violent civil disobedience works.
- In contrast, some hate-filled bigot ran his monster truck into the protestors in Iowa yesterday. The Christo-Fascists resort to violence as their first choice nowadays. There is no need to stoop to their level.
- Biden can act, now: Send federalized government doctors to all 50 states to solely perform abortions. Setup free clinics on Federal Lands in each Gilead-State. Let the GQP howl and piss and tie the bastards up forcing them to file endless lawsuits.
- The Congress can act, now: Pass the 49-years late codification of RvW into law. At a minimum put these f**kers on record, force them to vote publicly. End the filibuster and pass it anyhow. Also pass Universal Healthcare, so that women could actually afford to have kids and not even need abortions.
- The DC administration can act, now: 38 states have ratified the ERA, it is a goddamn constitutional amendment already. It solely needs the bureaucrats to do the final steps to make it a law. The Congress has no role in that, cannot oppose it in any way because their role has been done for years. The states finished ratifying it 2+ years ago, so the only hurdle remaining is recording it into the record. Once complete, the entire argument of SCOTUS vanishes.
- States can act too: California Governor Newsom isn’t the only sane governor. Expect more to step up to make access become easier.
- Pack the courts. Add 8 more justices, for a total of 17: 13 to match the existing Judicial Districts, and 4 At-Large. Fight tooth and nail to get them installed, don’t settle for anything less than 13 total. We have for the entirety of our Republic had courts packed with right-wing reactionaries who only on occasion did the right thing by the public. Enough of that, it’s time for a court that is not in thrall to the rich and powerful. Our Democratic Experiment demands it.
- “Two can play at this game.” If the government is going to deny the right of Privacy to 1/2 the population, it’s time for the other half to know how that feels. Mandatory vasectomies for any male under 30 years old. Viagra is banned, even by prescription, unless under direct visual in person supervision of a doctor. The user is not allowed to choose the doctor.
“Of the people, by the people, for the people” – Abraham Lincoln Not – by and for angry fearful white men. This nation is for everybody, This craven attempt to make women 2nd class citizens must fail. WE can certainly act, in many ways. Here’s the best one:#RelentlesslyRegisterVoters. This is the time to elect Democrats, then hold them to their promises. The Socialists have a very valid critique of the Dem. party: in the 50 years since RvW they did NOTHING to codify it into law. But the simple fact is we cannot wait decades for the Soc.’s to get enough elected offices to have power to change things. The Dem’s are the best option for now, so let’s get them elected. Let’s remove GOP candidates from office in the fall! We can stop this anti-women, anti-democratic horde from transforming our nation into a theocratic fascist dictatorship. This is your time to act. Our Republic calls you to get out the vote and remove these cretins from the levers of power.
It may be too pessimistic to call this week’s events the last hurrah for democracy or the idea of self-governance. But it is surely the Democratic Party’s last chance to do something or face oblivion. We have waited 50 years for them to be anything other than milquetoast water carriers for the rich and powerful. They have talked a good game but have not delivered since the New Deal 8 decades ago. So yes, this next year is make or break for them. It’s time to accomplish the reversal of this intrusion into the privacy of hundreds of millions of citizens – – and doing so will be the bare minimum required to protect the Republic.
We know from the history of Weimar Germany and other places that this nascent Theocratic power grab can evolve rapidly into full-on Fascism, and so it’s easy to feel like this is America’s last chance to stop them. All I can do is point out that most likely it’s not. Several times before, we faced this threat and defeated it… starting with those hate-filled goons with belt buckles on their hats who infected the soil of Plymouth Rock centuries ago. The Declaration of Independence and our Constitution repudiated their delusions, just as all of England and Europe had done when they booted them in the first place. The fact that 6 partisan hacks on the SCOTUS share those delusions is unfortunate, but it’s not one that cannot be overcome. In very short order, we may well be exiling these Neo-Pilgrim goons too.
Now I’m passing the pen over to a dear friend, who can put this moment in a deeper context. They are a lesbian who has been involved in this fight since the early 1980’s. “…let’s be clear, the white European heteronormative patriarchy is just doing what they do best…making their issues the problem of the oppressed. Like racism, which they’ve made the problem of POCs, women having unregulated pleasure is a man’s problem and we should be targeting their reproductive “rights”. But as someone who has never fit in for any number of reasons, I know for every one of them, there’s two of me and if you’re lucky, you can survive together while just being careful – of where you go and what you reveal. Privacy is not a right, it’s a craft.” – anonymous commenter
So, it’s time to get in the streets, to gum up the works, and to force change via non-violent civil disobedience. I’ve already begun, you know, because I went down to the demonstration, to get my fair share of abuse….