Reality check: How globalized industrial food systems set the stage for the emergence of COVID-19 and the need for system change
This episode explores how globalised industrial food systems set the scene for the emergence of COVID-19 and the structural connections between industrial agriculture, pathogens and precarious working conditions. It also explores the different realities people face right now, and how these impact ongoing struggles for more just food systems and societies.
– Rob Wallace author of Big Farms Make Big Flu and co-author of Neoliberal Ebola: Modeling Disease Emergence from Finance to Forest and Farm.
– Moayyad of Union of Agricultural Work Committees (UAWC), member organization of La Via Campesina in Palestine.
– Arie Kurniawaty of Indonesian feminist organization Solidaritas Perempuan (SP) which works with women in grassroots communities across the urban-rural spectrum.
– Sai Sam Kham of Metta Foundation in Myanmar.
– Paula Gioia, peasant farmer in Germany and member of the Coordination Committee of the European Coordination Via Campesina.